Sunday 12 August 2012

Day 65: Inflation - Part 2

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to have created an economic system that consists only out of trade-offs - where in order to have economic growth, people have to sacrifice purchasing power and - in real terms, nothing much changes to the situation, where people continuously still struggle to pay their bills and acquire what they need and in order to live a fulfilling life.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to not realise that the fact that people generally earn more money in certain countries, doesn't mean that they are better off, because the prices in those economies are higher and thus, they still pay their ass off like in any other place.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to admire the economic system for the way in which it balances itself out - instead of realising the implication of trying to find an equilibrium: that you continuously sacrifice one goal for another and in the end - it is impossible for everything to be in the best possible way for everyone - there are always losers and people always have to sacrifice some part of what should be a given, a basic right.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to claim that our economic system is the best possible system because it provides the best results for everyone - while, in actuality, it doesn't do that at all - because it is designed to provide 'middle road' results - and we all know those roads never lead anywhere, but to compromise.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to give my power away to individuals, who are not even elected officials, but bankers, who get to make decisions about how much money should be in circulation and thus, how high prices should be - making decisions that directly affect everyone's lives full-on - yet, still claiming that within the current paradigm, we are free to make decisions and are not controlled by outside sources, believing that we actually live in a democracy where I get to be a part of decision-making, where I get to control my life.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to complain when inflation occurs and everything suddenly becomes so expensive, instead of realising that I only fucked myself over by not questioning how this reality works and taking steps to take power back - so that it is not 'some economic force' or some banker who affects my life - but it is all of us together, as a community, as a group - who get to decide what's in our best interest - yet instead of educating myself and taking action, I rather just sit there and complain and continue to struggle, because the system is apparently too big and too powerful and apparently there's nothing I can do about it.

I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to realise how ridiculous our economic system is if prices can just 'inflate' all by themselves, without any ordinary person having a say in the matter - and suddenly we have to deal with these 'inflated' prices and have to re-organise our lives and consumption behaviour to be able to get by.

I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to realise that the phenomenon of inflation is proof that free will doesn't exist - because you can't will away the higher prices and you can't get around them - you're stuck with it and you've got to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment